Thursday, October 7, 2010

Alpha & Quitmega

I've got a `sketchpad`.. it's really a Bee Paper Company's Artist Marker Pad, but I use it for sketches, and I've got a couple of pages that I test out new markers on.

I picked up some Prismacolour markers the other day. I was looking for some extra Copic Ciao's to broaden the colour range I have from a pre-set box.. and noticed that the Prismacolour's were about half the price-per-marker. So I thought I'd give them a shot.

Copic Sketcher markers are the most expensive I've bought - and the best. They `layer` very well, meaning, you can lay down a streak, wait about 2 seconds, and lay down a crossing streak, and where the 2 meet, becomes a shade darker, and stays darker.

Copic Ciao markers are less expensive than the Sketcher's.. and not quite as good. The `layering` isn't anywhere in the same ballpark for viability as the Sketcher's are.. but they'll still do it, you just may have to go over the area a 3rd time instead of a 2nd. I find the markers are dark to begin with, and only get much darker with a second or third pass.

The Prismacolour Premier markers are nice.. do a better layering job than the Copic Ciao's.. and I find the fine-tip to be better suited for exact-and-tiny uses than the Ciao's or Sketcher's fine tips. With a steady-enough hand, the Copic's are fine for detail work.. but the Premier's are really spot-on for dot-sized efficiency. The Large/Broad tip is almost as good as the Large/Broad tip of the Copic's (both of them).

I also tried out a silver & a gold `metallic` marker by Prismacolour. Like a stubborn spraypaint-can, I had to shake the booboojeebies out of them to get the tip to fill with ink. After that though, worked like a charm. No layering, but man, if you want SILVER or GOLD to stand out boldly against whatever you're using, they worked quite well, catching the light but not messing with the colour.. almost matting it, but not quite.

The following is something I finished in Photoshop.. the symbol is something I literally whipped off in my sketchpad testing a marker out. Broken arrow-aside, I think it was all of 3 snaps of my wrist and there it was. It reminds me of an almost-mangled Alpha-Omega sign, only the Omega isn't a proper Omega sign, I know. If I didn't already have a signature, I'd start using this symbol, I think. I like it that much.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is created by Dan Shipton unless otherwise noted, and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 Canada License.