Saturday, October 2, 2010

More of the mind

So, I'm not quite sure what's going on.. but lately when I'm working in Corel Painter Essentials 4.. what is in my head just comes out quicker. Sooner rather than later I am going to have to truly test myself and see wat I can do about minute details and replicating textures.

I started off not wanting to paint a face...wound up painting crease lines that resembled a face..and broke it into 2 halves.. tried to seperate it spacially by shadow using colours.And then I went silly with the eyes.

I'm probably going to quote this wrong.. because I can't remember the name.. but I think it was Jack Kirby.. that amazing Man of Marvel (alongside Stan Lee)... had books and books of sketches.. of nothing more than hands. I think if I was to just sit and idly draw things.. eventually I'd wind up with books of hands..but only a couple. Quite a few of faces though. Especially feminine faces, I'm not very good at capturing the softness that is inherent, damnably mandatory even, for creating women and feminine styled things..so I'd sketch them out until I'v got hundreds of references to work from.. picking out the pieces of what works in one face, trying to bring them all together. I've already got some notepads full of sketches.. circles over what turned out that I like, notes on where/how to try\improve on the things that I didn't.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll try and do an illuminted silhouette painting for you folks.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is created by Dan Shipton unless otherwise noted, and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 Canada License.