Friday, January 28, 2011

Friday Friday...wait, that's Monday-Monday

Ahh, good old songs..

I had a small conversation yesterday with a friend... they told me I was 'dating myself' when i started to reminesce about a song on the radio..so I told them that the chances of a song they like that's popular today having the same effect, the same nostalgia, 20 years from now would probably never happen.

Basically, I'm of the opinion that all this insta-produced noise that comes from shows like american idol and it's retardedly-conceived ilk simply can't make it into 'classic' standing. AC/DC, The Who, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf, Cher, The Guess Who, Guns & Roses, Hank Williams, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash... these are musicians who are classic.. their music is a)still relevant today(though that's debatable..so go debate it with someone who is not me), tells stories, has rhythm or good beats, and basically can be found on the ipods of kids in middle-high to retiring ceo's. It's cross-generational, and almost timeless, like Beethoven and Bach and Chopin and all that.
But April Lavigne?(avril if you want the french name) "lady" gag.a??? Beyonce - that's an iffy, but still on the doubtful side as far as I'm concerned. How about Billy Talent? Deathcab for Cutie? Those other guys with the girly hair and the lead-singer who wears more makeup than Dee Snyder ever did?
Where will they be in 30 years, as far as listening audience is concerned?
Dead and buried, I would think.

Anyhow.. I've been doing some more quick sketches to songs, drawing only as long as the song goes on for.
Purple Rain by Prince is a good one.. it's a lil over 8 and a half minutes. Most songs are barely 3 and a half.
Still don't know what I'm gonna draw when I start.. but ideas are coming quicker, which is good because most of these songs are short!

So here's a few that I like..especially Hero Hippo.


Hero Hippo was drawn while listening to David Wilcox's The Rhythm of Love (the canadian singer, not the american country guy).. I think Angry Girl Stomp was done while listening The Donna's New Kid in School and the Palmy Beach was done while listening to Armand Van Heldon's Funk Phenomenon-Starkiller Remix.
So, basically, 2 3-minute-or-less songs and one that's almost 7 minutes.
More as the week goes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is created by Dan Shipton unless otherwise noted, and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 Canada License.