Sunday, February 13, 2011

Blocked?

Most everyone's heard of "writer's block".. I don't know many who've heard of `artist's block`..but I suppose it could easily be laid out as "creative block".

I tried to sketch out something in my head a few times.. and each one was close, but not close enough to what I saw/see in my mind's eye - and quite frankly I'm fucking tired of being frustrated with things. With everything. And I really hate that it effects my art.I need to find a block for the frustration.

So, I'm not going to bother trying to sketch it out, let alone paint it.
Below may seem like something easy to do..but truth told, it took me about 6 incarnations to get the swirls to stay apart and not overlap themselves. So damned frustrating! I should have had it done the 2nd time around, if not the first.

And it's Sunday. I really, really hope this isn't a sign of how the week's going to go. The dark part of the blue background is simple broad-stroke watercolour.. and even THAT took me a few attempts to get right.

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh!

    I LOVE this!

    What a simple yet visually interesting abstract painting!

    Was this done only in watercolors? It looks too opaque for that.

    What are the artwork's dimensions?

    I love the bold thick lines and how they are NOT perfectly circular, slightly bending as they near the edge.

    The color choices are wonderful too!

    Do more like this please!

    -Dean

    P.S.: And yes, I think all creative types suffer "creative block" at some point or another.

    I think you did the right thing by putting down the pencil and practicing with another medium instead. Look what developed because of it!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons Licence
This work is created by Dan Shipton unless otherwise noted, and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 Canada License.