Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Bleargh!!

There are a lot of things that frustrate me.
One of them is being able to get an idea down.. and once I begin to refine it, suddenly I can't seem to draw it anymore.
The thing that really REALLY pisses me off about this is that I can do it on paper, no problems. Give me a pen and paper, and I'll make it happen. Almost every single time, I can redo it. Perhaps not perfectly, but very close to it.

But digitally? Yeah, no freaking chance. The thing about that that gets under my skin so quickly is, I've heard/been told that art is brain-hand co-ordination (where as most other things are hand-eye co-ordination).
So, if that's true.. why the bloody hell can't I get the same image in my brain down twice, when it comes to digital work??
I sketch out the original.. like it, set it aside, and go to make more of the same in different poses, angles, etc. ... and damned if I can make it look right. Then I get frustrated. And it gets worse. Then I get angry, and it gets much worse. Then I say `fuck you!`, get a snit on, shoulder-to-the-plow and determine to best this frustration..and it gets a whole lot worse.  Then I say `ahh, fuck it...` and do something else.

None of this is productive, really. Just very frustrating in the end. And I'd like to punch the person who told me that it's all hand-brain co-ordination in the nose. Because it isn't. It's brain-hand-eye co-ordination.
Brain tells hand to draw what it sees. Hand does what it does. Eye looks at it, confers with brain.. and if it ain't right, the alarm bells go off and the Esteem Gestapo come marching down all over the place.
WHY is is so hard to take what's in my brain and put it to digital paper?? I can usually get about half of it out onto real paper.. but digitally.. ... it just sucks ass.
And this is my own critique.. my own standard that I'm failing to meet.

Thank God I'm not trying to live/perform up to anyone else's standard.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is created by Dan Shipton unless otherwise noted, and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 Canada License.