Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Strong Women & Equals

While I'm all for equal-rights and equal-pay-for-equal-work and all that jazz, there's something I've noticed and it really pisses me off. Aside from that cursive, I'm going to try to not swear during this.. which is really tough, because this is something that really hits me upside the head.

There is a HUGE shift towards `strong female roles` in tv, comics and videogames.
What do these `strong` females have as traits? The stereotypical masculine traits, of course.
So, a 'strong' female role model is basically a man, sans penis plus boobs. Uh..ok?
NO, not ok!

Some of the strongest women I've ever known have faced the trials of life and gotten back up for 3rds.
Yes, 3rds. This should indicate to you that they've already taken a second-helping of the miseries of life and pushed through those.
NONE of the strong women I know behave like men or work in traditionally masculine roles.
Not a single one. Some of them are occupying what can only be a woman's role - Wife & Mother - and doing an incredible job at it.

Now, by strong, I mean in character and resolve. When I was in the Army, I had absolutely no trust that any of the women there could haul my 250-pound corpse through a firefight to a medic station. Military Equality is to let women have roughly 20% (and more) less in physical requirements to be accepted into service.
Less push-ups, less chin-ups, 3 full minutes more to run 2km than a man.
I am supposed to treat you as an equal, despite the glaringly obvious discrepancies between us?
Not frigging likely.

Waaaaaaay back in highschool, I knew a couple girls who wanted to be treated as equals, to be seen as tough and independant so badly, they basically masculinated themselves, shunning everything that could be conceived of as feminine, save their bodies. I didn't understand it then, and I refuse to accept it now.
You are what you are, accept yourself. BE yourself. But please, please, don't buy into the garbage philosophy that we're all equals. Because we're not.
Sure, we're taught this at an early age and all throughout a (very) faulty educational system.. and yet every time you look around, you see how much of a lie it is!
We are not equals. Some people are fatter than me. Lots of folks are thinner than me. Better at chess, better at art, better at fixing cars, making money, making friends, being happy, blahblah, blahblah, ad nauseum, etc.

Men and Women will never be equal, because Men and Men are never equal, and Women and Women are never equal. The other thing about this that really pisses me off is how many `minorities` scream and demand for equality and a fair-shake when what they're really doing is forcing the system to allocate them an unfair advantage against the rest of the population. Now how equal is that? We will never be equal with anyone, capice?

There's only a few Great Equalizers I can think of.. and while not everyone will ever use Poison or Guns (though anyone can), the only thing that really comes to mind of as the Supreme Equalizer is Sin.
We all do that, equally well, and most of don't even realize it or even think about it. That's how amazingly equal we are at it.

So here's something I've dubbed as `army girl`.. not that she's actually army..but I gave her a helmet for some reason. Strong girl? Maybe. Maybe not. Guns and boots and kicking down doors and screaming don't make for a strong person.. their resolve and character and how they handle the hammer-blows of life does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is created by Dan Shipton unless otherwise noted, and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 Canada License.