Saturday, June 11, 2011

No art tonight

Hey folks,

No art tonight.
I'm still configuring The GIMP to work with my wacom, which is almost done: I've got the bamboo, and all the tutorials on how to get it to work with the pressure sensitivity all revolve around macs & linux & Graphires & Cintiqs and frankly, fuck them. I use a PC, and a Bamboo. and a few short clicks, I've got it almost perfect. By perfect, I mean, replicating using my stylus & tablet so it's as close to pen&paper as I can get..

And you know what? GIMP is taking up less than 10% of the space Photoshop did, let alone the whole Master Creative Suite I spent too much time & money on (fuck YOU! "industry standard"...this is free, and better by far for actual art). I just have to get used to a different layout now.

Also.. instead of spending the afternoon doing that, I went & helped my roommate's dad put together a shed.
I don't *like* to walk in, and takeover a project..but I almost did that. Matter of fact, I should have done that.
Instead of putting in patio stones (with enough space for water channels), and the flooring of this annoying plastic-snap-together-use-a-dozen-screws thing.. I should have convinced him to wait until he can properly level the area. But no, I let people do what they're doing, because.. well, who am I to tell them differently?

Anyhow, we've got the walls up, the floor is still uneven but it's there, and instead of actual shelving, I'll be using the shelving-brackets to brace the walls and keep it as square as possible.
The problem is the floor. Even if it was even, it wouldn't `snap together` like it's supposed to. The tabs are simply too short, and the groove to snap into is far too shallow.
Hopefully once we get the roof on it, and start loading stuff into it, it'll be a lot harder to knock over.
Because we've got the walls up and together, it's already harder to knock over so the issue is the space between floor & wall, as this is a shed, and outside year-round, and critters love things like this.

The quick&dirty way is to screw the ceiling down to the walls & weigh the roof down for extra downward-pressure on the tabs. And then slap wood blocks on the inside-walls, and spray-foam the outside, coating the bottom 3-inches and foundation, sealing it. That's the last-resort option. Hoping we can do better tomorrow.

So..that's what I've been doing. Oh, and enjoying peach-gummi-worms in cold beer. Adds a nice peachy-aftertaste. Makes me think there should be fruit-flavoured beers out there. If anyone does this, let me know.
If they don't, I want in on the ground floor of this!

Anyhow.. like I said, no art, so.. screencap from City of Heros/Villains instead, enjoy!
A heroine I made with ice/plant powers...decked out to be a bit of a hippy-cum-heroine who doesn't want to just save the planet, but the people as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is created by Dan Shipton unless otherwise noted, and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 Canada License.