Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Treading Water

In survival situations, learning how to tread water for prolonged periods of time is important.
Not in a bathing suit, mind you, but in regular street-clothes, complete with shoes or boots or whatever you were dumb enough to wear to the session that day.

First off, wet clothes are heavy, and cling to you. Second, wet boots will help you sink like a rock was tied to your face - because one of the first things you want to do is ditch the footwear.
Not the best idea if you're about to wash ashore some rocky, isolated place.. but generally, you don't want that extra weight holding you down, because most people can't really swim worth beans (myself included).

But there comes a point where, even if you were naked, except for a life-vest, you'd still drown from exhaustion. (because yes, you can drown with a life-preserver on).

One can only tread water for so long before the inevitable overtakes them.

And I feel like I've been treading water for far too long.. and sure, this new job is like a life-vest tossed to me...except it feels more like a lead-vest than a life-vest.

And then I begin to think of Swamp Thing.

The guy lives down in the muck..and still makes the best out of it (from what I remember..I haven't followed Swamp Thing for years). Better than I can manage...but something to think about, at least.
My job's not so bad.. I just feel drained from it.. every day. At least it's helping me to sleep more than a few hours a night.
Trying to find that rare orchid/flower/thing that'll only grow in the most godless & forsaken places kind of analogy...but I guess that's a bit hyperbole, no? After all, my life really isn't so bad.. it's just a constant string of annoyances and frustrations. .

..trying to get to that life-preserver before I run out of stamina..

So.. SWAMP THING(wannabe)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is created by Dan Shipton unless otherwise noted, and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 Canada License.