Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Overclocking

You can overclock some things. basically, make them work faster than they're supposed to.

This is usually applied to computers, to cpu's specifically. Suddenly a 300Mhz system is running at 450..however this makes the system more susceptible to burn out.. sometimes literally bursting the chip into flame, which, while cool to see, is also a major pain to deal with.. usually because computer systems and fire are not the best of friends, or even acquaintances, at any given time.

I find in my new job that I am 'overclocking' myself.
Today, for example, I put in the equivalent of 13 hours and 45 minutes of work
into my paid-7-hour day. (I get an unpaid hour lunch)
How is this possible?! Simple - certain tasks are clocked out at an assumed specific time, that if the thing was done at a normal pace, or done as per usual, it would take X-amount of time. It should be noted I was hired for a skill in which I am above-average for speed and ability.

However, this does not mean I am consistently putting in good hours.. a few days ago I barely scraped 7 and a half hours into the my day. A lot of it depends on the work available. I can do many minor-clocked items, and while they will add up, they also eat up time, sometimes putting you behind the clock. Today was a day of tackling some monster items that, thanks to my abilities, were brought down in a good time, however, some are still not done. No matter how fast you go, there's only so much time in the day to do things in. Try as I might, I cannot add or remove a single second to the 24 hours in the days. (even if I used a different standard of measuring time, it is what it is)

I try to keep myself at roughly 10 hours for a day... there is a quota, after all..and if you go above, it's bonus-time, which makes the paycheque a bit nicer. And I like things to be a bit nicer.

Not so nice? Being robbed. And that's what thieves do. Today, usually at gunpoint. In the Olden Times? Blade-point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is created by Dan Shipton unless otherwise noted, and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 Canada License.