Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A small review

So I'm learning more about Manga Studio Ex 4.

I think one of the things I like - because I'm lazy and ignorant(in that I lack the proper knowledge), is that there are built-in panel options for page layouts.

I like this. It makes it easy for a guy like me, who's never done a comic, to have a template of structures and different layouts available, to do

I'm still getting used to the different brushes, keyboard shortcuts and types of things I can do with the program.  At one point, there was a minor lag between drawing and what happened on the screen, so it looked like the ink was 'settling in' or 'soaking in' to the page I was working on. Not sure if that's an intentional thing or not, but man it was cool!  I don't care for the brush-brush, but the pattern-brush is very nice. The brush-brush.. I don't know.. seems like all the ink runs off on the first part of the stroke, and the last part, with nothing in between - on the thin brush. Doesn't happen on the thick brush.  I like that you can edit the tapering on the pens, intro and outro, so it more resembles working with dip pens.  The pencil doesn't quite seem like a pencil.. the Soft or the Hard seem to be the extreme version of each.. so I'll be sticking to The Gimp for penciling works for now, until I can get MSEx4 more to my liking, if I can.

One thing I haven't gotten to yet is trimming pages so there's no huge white border around it.

Long story short - Manga Studio Ex 4 is definitely THE program for aspiring webcomic artists and anyone starting out and looking to do their own graphic novels and such.. there are so many nice features and option that just make it easier and less tedious to get things looking 'like a comic book', it's just great.

I had initially thought I'd introduce a project I'm (slowly) working on with this small review, but then I thought better of it. The below image was slapped out in an hour - which includes picking the # of panels, the layour, and then what to put in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is created by Dan Shipton unless otherwise noted, and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 Canada License.